torsdag 28. oktober 2010

Across America, post 1

Today, I`ve finally arrived Chicago. After a long journey, including flight change in Oslo, it felt really good when the big Airbus from SAS touched the ground this morning. Even though it`s raining, and the temperature is way too low, I am really looking forward to this holiday!

Since I saw the movie “cars,” when I was a child, I have always dreamed about driving “Route 66.” Surrounded by beautiful and distinctive nature, the road is often called “the greatest road in the world.” The road goes across America, from Chicago to Los Angeles, and is almost 400 km long. In the years between 1926, to 1985, this was the main road through America, with lots of traffic. However, in June 1985, the road was removed from “the United States Highway System,” because of the new highways they had built, parallel with Route 66. Suddenly, Route 66 was a deserted and forgotten road. 


 In the years that followed, more and more people realized how beautiful this road really was. Running through dessert, forest, and along lakes, but also through small charm full American towns, people started driving the road just for the experience. 

Today, the road is quite popular. It`s often used in movies (such as the movie “Cars”, created by Pixar), but also songs. Anyway, the road has also become a big tourist attraction, with many visitors every year. There are even own companies, which is living only at making trips to the road. 


Today, I have walked slowly around in Chicago, just experiencing the city. I am going to get my rented car tomorrow, so today I have spent the day relaxing, seeing what the city has to offer me. It`s a really nice city, with a lot nice shops and cafes. However, it`s really big! Yes, I had expected a big city, but maybe not at this size? Regardless where I am going, there are skyscrapers, cars and a lot of people everywhere. Even though it`s I nice city, I am glad I don`t live here. I like better smaller cities, with more space. 


Chicago has close to 3 million inhabitants, and is the third largest city in the United States. It`s a typically American city, with skyscrapers and roads everywhere. Still, Chicago is very a very popular city to the tourists. In 2008, around 45, 4 tourists have visited Chicago. The shopping opportunities, thousands of restaurants along with Chicago`s culture continue to draw tourists. 


By the way, it`s late, and I am going to bed. Tomorrow, I will get my car, and start the journey across the United States, something I am really looking forward to! I will be back with more text and pictures soon.


See ya!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar