torsdag 28. oktober 2010

Across America, post 2

After a great breakfast (American style), I went to get my car. The weather had changed drastically from yesterday, and even though it still was early in the morning, the temperature was high, and the sun shone. The drive to the place where I had rented the car took less than 10 minutes, and soon I was standing with the keys to my dream car, a Porsche 911, full of expectations.

Badly, the drive started bad. The clock was nine, it was congestion, and it was traffic jam all over Chicago. Luckily, after less than an hour, I drove out of Chicago, and started the 4000 km travel across America.


Along Route 66, there are a lot to experience. The road is going through many American villages and small cities, but also bigger cities, such as Oklahoma and St. Louis. There are many attractions along Route 66 as well. Many car, music and motorcycle shows are being held in towns associated with Route 66. Since Route 66 is such popular for tourists, museums are not rare either. Route 66 is also going close to the city Springfield (yes, it is a real city!), which I, as a Simpsons fan, is a place I definitely is going to visit.

The clock was 14.00, and it was soon time for lunch. Even I had run for over 4 hours, I hadn`t seen anything of what I was expecting yet. I had driven on roads with heavy traffic, and the villages I visited were boringly normal. However, some native guys I talked to, said that the real Route 66 didn`t started before later. I hope they are right.

After a short lunch, I drove on. The weather was still nice, and I the traffic slowed. I was slowly driving out into the “wilderness,” and the forest was slowly being replaced by more and more desert and mountains. The Porsche I am driving is a really great car, and, because of the great roads in America, it was really fun to drive, and the miles flew away.

Later that afternoon, I decided to eat dinner at a small café, decorated with stuff from Route 66. I had a wonderful beef, and wished I had room for their famous deep fried cheesecake, but I hadn`t. For all I ate, my bill was less than $10, including a glass of iced tea (I ordered a raspberry tea and it was delicious). Later that evening, I found a small and nice motel which I booked into.

When I am writing this, I am soon going out to visit a small museum, dedicated to Route 66. Here, I am supposed to find classic American cars, but also other old things which are related to Route 66. They are going to have kind of a show tonight, and through my window, I can see that there are already many people walking towards the museum.

I will hopefully be back soon, with more stuff and pictures about my holiday.

See ya!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar